Friday, March 2, 2018

TOP 3 PLANTS FOR PLANTING UNDER OAKES

I get this question a lot (or a variation of it).  I have an Oak tree (or want to plant one) and I don't what to plant underneath it?  I am afraid that nothing will survive and what I have planted is not doing well.  Well when you think of California and the idea of providing habitat for wildlife then you automatically think of Oaks.  They not only provide food for the local wildlife but also shelter for those that use the tree to make nests.  A place to climb and hide if you want to avoid being hunted. 

With over 600 or so different varieties of Oaks, how could you not want one in your garden?  There come in various heights and spreads but the one thing most Oaks have in common is their root system.  They are deep rooted and usually also send out some shallow roots that spread horizontally.  This means that not all plants will grow under them but a good number will. 

In this video I share with you 3 plants to consider planting under Oaks.  As always remember that you are only limited by your imagination. 



Now I am curious to know of anyone has an Oak tree and what you have planted underneath it.  Comment below and share. 

No comments: